- 3 cups thinly sliced red onion (1 large onion)
- 3/4 cup riesling or other slightly sweet white wine
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice (2 large oranges)
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 3/4 pounds bone-in turkey thighs, skinned
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups fresh Satsuma mandarin orange sections (about 7 oranges)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Sliced green onions (optional)
- 1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a 5-quart oval electric slow cooker.
- 2. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Sprinkle turkey with five-spice powder and salt. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add turkey; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Place turkey in a single layer over onion mixture in slow cooker, overlapping slightly. Add orange sections. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- 3. Remove turkey from slow cooker. Remove bones from turkey; discard bones. Place turkey on a platter. Pour cooking liquid and orange sections into a medium saucepan, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Combine reserved cooking liquid and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture into orange mixture in saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sauce thickens.
- 4. Serve sauce over turkey. Sprinkle with green onions, if desired.