Freezer Adobo Chicken with Pineapple Recipe
- 1 Whole Chicken, cut into pieces (10 drumsticks or 8 thighs, skin on and bone in, works well, too)
- ¾ Cup Soy Sauce
- ½ Cup Rice Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Whole, Dried Bay Leaves
- 1-2 teaspoons Fresh Ground, Black Pepper, to taste
- 3 Cloves Garlic, crushed and finely minced
- ½ teaspoon Dried Minced Onion
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Peanut Oil (Vegetable Oil is just fine)
- 1 ¼ Cup Water
- 1 lb. Bag of Frozen Pineapple (If you have a nice and ripe fresh pineapple, cut it up into bite sized pieces and then set on cookie sheet and flash freeze before putting into a freezer bag)
- In a 1 Gallon Freezer bag combine Soy Sauce, Vinegars, Bay Leaves, Black Pepper, Garlic, Dried Minced Onion, Oil, and Water. Seal bag, and shake it up.
- Open the bag and place you cut up chicken pieces inside. Pushing all the air out should allow the sauce to completely cover the chicken. If not, add a little more water until just covered when sealed.
- Freeze along side the bag of pineapple .
- Set frozen bag of chicken and frozen bag of pineapple on a plate or in a bowl (leave them in their separate bags) in the fridge the night before you want to cook this meal.
- In a lidded pan; over high heat bring the chicken and the adobo sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until chicken is cook through, and pulling away from the bone.
- Heat oven to Broil.
- Remove chicken from pan and place on a slotted broiler pan. Broil 4 minutes, with meat approx 6-8 inches from the broiler, turn chicken and broil and additional 4 minutes.
- While the chicken is broiling, bring the sauce back up to a boil and continue to boil over medium high until the sauce is reduced by half. ( you may need to boil the sauce longer than it takes to broil the chicken. That is okay. Just pull the chicken out of oven and set aside for now.)
- Once the sauce is reduced by half, stir in the pineapple and bring back to a boil, remove from heat.
- Using a brush, baste each piece of chicken with the sauce 2-3 times and broil 1 more minute. Turn Chicken baste 2-3 times and broil for 2 minutes.
- Serve with the sauce over your favorite steamed rice.