- Cooking spray
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup dried apple slices, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar (optional)
Coat a 5-quart round electric slow cooker with cooking spray. Line bottom of slow cooker with parchment paper. Place 2 (30-inch-long) strips of parchment paper in an X pattern under parchment paper liner in slow cooker. Coat parchment with cooking spray.
Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, brown sugar, and next 6 ingredients (through cloves) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine applesauce and next 4 ingredients (through egg) in a small bowl. Add applesauce mixture to flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Stir in dried apple.
Pour batter into prepared slow cooker, spreading into an even layer. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until puffed and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cut into wedges. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.