2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, cut up
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon water
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 recipe Sugared Pepitas (desired amount)
Finely shredded orange peel (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries and toss well. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
2. In a small bowl stir together the 2 eggs, half-and-half, and pumpkin. Add pumpkin mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
3. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut circle into eight wedges.
4. Place wedges 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl combine the 1 egg with the 1 tablespoon water. Brush wedges lightly with egg mixture. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove scones from baking sheet. Let cool for 5 minutes before spreading with glaze.
5. For glaze, in a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, the 1 tablespoon butter, the 2 teaspoons orange peel, and the orange juice until well combined.
6. Spoon glaze over warm scones, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with some of the Sugared Pepitas* and, if desired, additional shredded orange peel. Serve warm.