- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) white mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together cornmeal, 1/2 cup flour, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add peppers, onion, and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Raise heat to high; add beef and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, until meat is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons flour and 2/3 cup water; season with salt and pepper.
- Make cornmeal batter: Add sour cream and egg to reserved cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened. Drop tablespoons of batter over beef mixture in skillet, 1 inch apart. Bake until biscuits are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.