Chocolate Chip Scones Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup very cold unsalted butter, cut into very small cubes
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 large egg, cold
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, cold
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a few tablespoons of additional heavy cream for brushing the tops
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling the tops
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- Add the pieces of cold butter and cut into the dough using a pastry cutter or a fork until the texture or coarse meal. Toss your chocolate chips throughout the mixture at this point.
- In a separate small bowl, lightly whisk together the heavy cream, the egg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Lay the dough out on a lightly floured work surface and lightly knead with a lightly floured hand about 4 times. Pat the dough out to an 8 or 9 inch circle or rectangle (about 1 inch thick) and cut into 8 pieces. The pieces will be triangles if you shaped into a circle, and the pieces will be rectangles if you shaped the dough into a larger rectangle.
- Gently transfer the scones onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush lightly with cream and sprinkle liberally with turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. If desired, sprinkle with extra turbinado sugar for more texture.
- Store leftovers completely cooled in an airtight container for up to 2 days.