1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup celery
1 cup onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 fresh diced garlic clove
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon corn oil
4 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can Tomatoes, diced (optional)
1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, diced
1 (1 1/4-1 1/2 ounce) packet taco seasoning, I use McCormicks
10 (8 inch) corn tortillas (cut into small pieces, about 1-inchx1-inch)
12 ounces chicken meat, poached, diced
1 cup milk or 1 cup sour cream
12 ounces monterey jack cheese or 12 ounces Mexican blend cheese, shredded
corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces for garnish
1. Saute carrots, onions, celery in corn oil, garlic, salt and pepper until tender.
2. Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
3. Add tomatoes, Rotel, taco seasoning, and chicken.
4. Cut Tortillas into small pieces and add to broth mixture.
5. Let boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are thoroughly incorporated into soup stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.
6. Reduce heat and add 8 oz. cheese. Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
7. Add milk and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
8. If thicker soup is desired, add more diced tortillas and let incorporate into soup.
9. Garnish with shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips.
Substitutions: 1 cup Masa Harina (Masa Flour) for 1 10 ct. package of corn tortillas. Gradually add masa flour mixing into broth, mixing thoroughly into broth. If thicker soup is desired, add more masa flour.
You can also use grilled chicken fajita meat for poached diced chicken.