Chicken and Mushroom Fajitas
For The Chicken and Marinade:
- 1½ to 2 lbs Chicken Breast, sliced in half lengthwise
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 Tbsp)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper, or to taste
Other Fajita Ingredients:
- 2 large bell peppers, cored and sliced into strips
- 1 medium/large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- ½ lb mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 4 oz Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 4 Strips bacon, cooked & crumbled (or buy pre-cooked crumbled bacon)
Serve with (same as Chilis):
- Small Flour Tortillas
- Pico or Salsa, Guacamole or diced avocado, Sour Cream, Lettuce, Hot Sauce
How to Make the Chicken:
- Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Slice chicken in half lengthwise so you end up with about ½” thick chicken cutlets. Add chicken to marinade and stir until evenly coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 45 min to 1 hour, stirring midway.
- To Grill Chicken (the most authentic way): Preheat Grill then reduce heat to med/low (350˚F) and grill chicken 6-8 min per side, rotating midway to create grill marks.
- To Saute Chicken: Heat a large non-stick (cast iron is best – it should be oven safe) skillet over medium heat. Saute chicken with 1-2 Tbsp oil in a single layer, until browned on each side and cooked through (3 min per side).
- Heat the same non-stick, oven safe pan over medium heat. Saute mushrooms with 1-2 Tbsp oil until mushrooms are browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same hot pan, sauté onions and bell peppers in 1-2 Tbsp more oil. Stir the veggies every 2 minutes to sear and brown the edges and cook a total of 8 minutes. Season to taste.
Assembling the Fajitas:
- Slice chicken into ¼” thick strips and place over the cooked vegetables. Top with sauteed mushrooms, then cheese and finally crumbled bacon. Place under the broiler in the upper third of the oven for 2-3 minutes or just until cheese is nicely melted.
- Wrap a stack of tortillas in a damp papertowel and microwave on high 45 seconds to 1 min or until tortillas are very warm. Keep them covered until ready to use.
- To assemble individual fajitas, start with a warm tortilla, add sour cream and guacamole (if using), then top with lettuce and finally the meat/veggie/mushroom/cheese mixture followed by salsa or hot sauce.