1 1/4 cups uncooked pearl barley
5 cups water
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots, quartered
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
1. Place 1/3 cup barley in a blender; process until coarsely ground (about 15 to 20 seconds). Place ground barley in a large saucepan. Repeat procedure with remaining barley. Cook barley over medium heat 4 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently.
2. Add water, sugar, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes or until barley is soft, stirring frequently. Add milk; cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in raisins, apricots, and almonds. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (about 1/2 cup)
4 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup sliced strawberries
8 frozen multigrain waffles (such as Kashi), toasted
1. Place first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Gently fold in strawberries. Spread about 3 tablespoons cream cheese mixture over each of 4 waffles; top sandwiches with remaining 4 waffles.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 sandwich)
Total: 20 Minutes
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
1 large egg white
3/4 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
1 1/2 cups oat bran
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup coarsely chopped, peeled Granny Smith apple
2 teaspoons turbinado sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Place 12 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups; set aside. Combine brown sugar and butter in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add egg; beat 1 minute or until well blended. Beat in egg white until well blended. Add milk, applesauce, molasses, and vanilla extract; beat on low speed until well blended.
3. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, bran, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Gently stir in apples.
4. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle evenly with turbinado sugar, if desired. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.