Caramel Slice Recipe
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup brown sugar (not tightly packed)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 4.5oz / 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 4.5oz / 125g unsalted butter, roughly chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 x 14oz/395g can sweetened condensed milk (Note 1)
- 7oz/200g dark or milk melting chocolate (America: use semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 160C/320F (fan forced) / 180C/350F (conventional)
- Spray with oil or butter and line a 28x 18cm (lamington pan) / 7″ x 11″ rectangle pan with parchment paper (Note 2). Have overhang for ease of removal.
- Mix together Base ingredients and press into a pan (I use an egg flip)
- Bake for 15 minutes until the surface is golden. Optional: Cool in the fridge (Note 2a)
- Place butter and sugar in pan over low heat. When the butter is melted, whisk to combine with sugar. As soon as the caramel starts to bubble, add condensed milk. Stir constantly for 5 minutes (Note 3) – it should be thick and pale golden.
- Pour onto Base. Bake for 12 minutes at 160C/320F (fan forced) / 180C/350F (conventional). The top should be spotty with dark golden bubbles but the caramel should jiggle when you shake the pan. Refrigerate until the caramel is set.
- Melt chocolate in microwave in 30 second bursts in high, stirring in between. When the chocolate is smooth and fully melted, stir through oil.
- Pour over caramel then refrigerate until set. See Note 4 for smooth vs textured top.
- Cut into bars or squares to serve. (Note 5)